The Kingdom of Nharati
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Kingdom of Nharati

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ulrika's departure

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garnett

Garnett

Character sheet
Full Name: Garnett Farquhar Valenti
Wed to: none - widowed

Ulrika's departure Empty
PostSubject: Ulrika's departure   Ulrika's departure Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Darkness still reigned when her guards roused her from her slumber. With her tent already stowed for travel, the Nyrthlond King's arms wrapped protectively about her twin beneath the starlit sky. The camp was coming alive, smaller tents that had been left out quickly packed, horses protesting their burdens, men and women shuffling sleepily to get them underway. Fires and torches burned as they had every night of their stay, several feeding them to make it look as though the camp was merely getting ready to break its fast. From high towers, one would be able to see little more than the flames.

While the preparation went on, Ulrika tended to her own, dictating two short letters be penned. The first was a short formal message of farewell to Wyldrigrenkledrysllthen, couched in polite terms while she silently wished never to see the arse end of this blasted place again. The other, slightly more personal, was to a certain Hareshi princess.

Dearest Synaria,

My departure has crept up sooner than I had anticipated, and no doubt by the time this reaches your hands, we will have taken our leave. I am certain I shall see you soon, whether here or in Nyrthlond for the wedding or before.

And there, the King hesitated. The point of the letter had been to inform the Princess of Cyrus' decision to accompany her back to Nyrthlond, but something stayed her thoughts. If he was anything like he was at home, Cyrus likely disappeared for days at a time with no one knowing where he was. Let them wonder. He was in no shape to deal with the machinations of Uhtred, whatever they might be, and Nharati intensified the madness in his icy eyes, the King's protectiveness of her twin clutching at her.

Her own pale gaze darted to her still-sleeping brother, even in rest, twitching in an unsettling fashion, and she knew her decision. A few days' delay might mean all the difference. And who knew who might see the letter? It would be folly to think such missives into the castle were wholely private.

I'm afraid this letter must be short, but I did wish to inform you of my departure. Be alert and be wary. Should you have any need of me, send word, and my invitation to return to Nyrthlond still stands.

King Ulrika Kergard

Entrusting one of her personal guards to hire a messenger from the town to deliver it once they'd broken camp, she woke Cyrus, and they both dressed in the darker leathers of their raiders, a smile slowly forming on her face. To be underway again, with Cyrus at her side, her men at her back, beyond the trappings of politics and the throne, it would leave all this cruel paranoia behind.

Before first light crested in the east, they were off, the small column moving as quietly as such things could down the westerly road away from the castle. Of course, the clatter of hooves and weapons still filled the air, wagon wheels creaking, and a few groans of overindulgence which were often met with a clattering smack, but they were headed home.
Back to top Go down

Ulrika's departure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Kingdom of Nharati :: IC :: The Repository :: Nharati History-
Jump to: