The Kingdom of Nharati
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Kingdom of Nharati

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(LOG)Into the mountains

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garnett

Garnett

Character sheet
Full Name: Garnett Farquhar Valenti
Wed to: none - widowed

(LOG)Into the mountains Empty
PostSubject: (LOG)Into the mountains   (LOG)Into the mountains Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 pm

William Alexston had finished the day in his usual fashion - ale and a fire. He'd written his letter to Cordelia and now just needed to actually send some poor twat up to Valys to deliver it. So now it was time to get drunk. He was sat in front of a relatively large campfire in his leather trousers, a thick jerkin and several items of fur. His back was propped against his ale keg, the tankard between his hands, and he was staring off into the fire thoughtfully. Not unhappily, for the record, William was quite happy to be down here and doing something and enjoying his time with both mistress and tents. Far better than Alexston's pomp - at least better for the soul, he missed his bed rather poignantly.

Tyltin V was getting increasingly restless with each passing day; the rains had let up, but perhaps not enough to pass the mountains effectively, and every hour's delay meant moe time for the Karmenynns to regroup and possibly launch a counterattack. His newfound station as leader of all of Nharati's armed forces put him in a rather strange new position; he had the authority, but not the prerogative to exercise it as he might've done. So instead of simply ordering a general march, he swallowed his impatience--as pride was for women and fools--and called a war council. Of course the big names would have to be there...Alexston, his nephew's friend (and Tyltin rather didn't want to know it if they were any more, mind); Godraed, the traitor-in-waiting (even if he didn't know it yet) would have to come along as well, for he knew this country better than any of them. And of course Maeyn would be at his side, for he knew her to be every bit as witty as any of the men in camp and could use it. The summons were sent to both men to join Tyltin in his tent in all haste, and he had a waiting platter of water and grapes, a veritable feast compared to his normal fare.

Maeryn had slid out of the tent earlier in the evening, feeling the itch to explore the surrounding forest. As per usual, she had one of the men wander with her, and still kept in sight of the men who kept watch outside the camp. She had finally found a spot to sit herself and weave flower crowns to pass the time, when one of the camp men jogged up to her. "His Highness requested you." She grinned at him and picked herself back up, tucking the mass of flowers in a large 'basket' she made out of her cloak. Quick as a deer, she ran her way back toward the camp, nimbly leaping over rocks and roots, even decked in leather trousers and mens boots as she was. Even her escourt had a small bit of trouble keeping up. She made it to the tent a good ten paces ahead of the man and entered without him. She tore the hood from her head, letting her gold curls free, then dumped the make-shift pocket of the hem onto the cot, dumping a mountain of flowers in the middle. Large grin and perked brow was shot Tyltin's way. "You called?" Unfortunately the one that brought the summons failed to tell her it was a war meeting, else she might've hidden the flowers. Humming, but ears peeled, she wandered over to the platter and snagged a few grapes.

Godraed had wasted no time once the summons reached him, the lad dressing quickly in the light-weight leather armour he used for the trail though leaving the weapons in his tent with his squire. Nerves rose and were buried a hundred times over in the jog to the Marshall's tent, Godraed pausing before it to collect his breath. Once he'd settled, he nodded for the guards to announce him, only ducking into it once he was allowed. His fist clasped against his chest in salute as he bowed before the Prince. "As requested, Your Highness." He held his bow, belatedly aware that the Princess was in his company..and presently strewing his tent with flowers.

William Alexston was summoned from his thinking, and brushed himself off to go and find the rest of the troupe summoned by his Highness (who William had yet to have too much of an opinion on, quite deliberately abstaining from deciding anything). He spotted Eagloc ahead, and ducked into the tent shortly after him. "Highness," he greeted, standing next to Godraed for the time being and slotting his hands into his pockets. He glanced at Maeryn but knew better than to bother looking for too long, attention swiftly going back to Tyltin. He'd wake up, but he was tugging himself out of thinkland presently. What to do next was a perfectly valid question, and one he didn't mind helping to answer. He just needed to come back from the realm of cogs and wheels properly first.

Tyltin V did not have to wait long before his trusty wife made her way speedily back to the tent. He offered her nothing but an innocent smile at first, offering her a glass of crystalline water. The flowers brooked no comment nor complaint, though he offered that same slight grin to each of the pretty petals in turn. "I hope you won't mind, Ryn. Some big men will be joining us all too soon, and they might frown upon your presence...but don't let them scare you." And that was all he'd say until the bard announced Lord Eagloc's arrival. Once bid enter, Tyltin rose from his seat and offered it to the man, keeping his back facing away from the Karmenynn noble whether he accepted or declined. "Good, we're all here," he intoned once William arrived, sparing the larger man a scrutinous glance though his little grin never left him. "Tell me, my lords. Are you quite as bored as I am stamping the ground flat in this valley?"

Maeryn shot Tyltin a dubious glance at the mention of big men, just as she popped the grape in her mouth and leaned against the table. "You say that like I'm afraid of everything." A giggle followed her words, knowing she damned well was afraid of most everything. She eagerly took the water and was just about to drink before the announcements were made. "Good day Lord Eagloc!" Cheerful tones laced her voice. If he were the extent of 'big men' then she'd have no trouble with the meeting at all. Then in came William and her smile faded just a smidge. She wasn't quite sure what she thought of him just yet. "Good day to you as well Lord Alexston," she uttered pleasantly, though a tad more quietly. Gently she eased herself up from her table-lean and wandered a bit closer to Tyltin, holding herself up as a proper lady, even if she were in trousers, until she got a feel for the tone of the meeting.

Godraed nodded his thanks at the offering of the chair, but bowed to Maeryn before he claimed it. "Good day to you as well, Your Highness," he greeted formally with a small pleasant smile for the Prince's wife. His head inclined to the General as he entered, smile lingering. "Good day, General." Settled into his seat, he observed the gathered crowd, realizing quite suddenly what elevated company he was in. Any touch of casualness in his posture tightened up, the lad sitting straight. "Yes, Your Highness. I'm more than ready to head onward." He agreed, wondering if his words sounded as stilted as he felt. Dark eyes carefully kept to his boots, his hands forcefully not fidgeting.

William Alexston nodded once to Maeryn's greeting, a smile small enough to be polite offered in her direction. "Your Highness," he greeted, apparently a man of little words today. A neat comparison to several days ago. "Bored is the polite version," he agreed. "I'd agree with Lord Eaglo when he says we're ready to move." Movement felt more productive, even if it did speed up the process of finishing up and going home. He'd really rather stay down here, but dragging it out was pointless and he wasn't here for himself. He kept his hands in his pockets and opted not to sit, remaining stood purely because his arse was still a touch numb from being parked on a cold floor for however long it had been.

Tyltin V merely rolled his eyes at Maeryn's flippant response, wise enough to hold his tongue about that particular point, attention then focused on the men in their arrival and greeting. Nodding at Godraed's surmisal, he glanced to the larger general for any alteration in the assessment. "Then we are in accord with respect to intent," he allowed, gesturing to the spartan refreshments he'd provided for them to partake as they wished. "Now, the season's not too late, though it looks like we'll be snowed behind the mountains in a few weeks' time. That means a winter campaign in foreign country with little hope of supply from Valys." A pointed glance to Godraed with the word foreign, but little else to indicate any emnity. "Scouts tell me the paths are slick but passable, as long as the rains hold off...but clement weather also gives our enemies opportunities to lay traps along the way. Eagloc, tell me true...can we pass the mountains here?"

Maeryn's brow perked up by the stiffness of her newly met friend. Seemed this meeting was to be of the official variety. A slightly suspicious look was shot Tyltins way. None of this was really her place. Unless he wanted her to play hostess and serve the water and grapes. She glanced to the table, then back to the gathered men. They seemed big enough to serve themselves and she hadn't washed her hands yet. When the topic finally moved to the weather and further march, she slid away from them and onto the cot with all her flowers, idly taking a few up to braid. Those bright eyes were unnaturally focused on their responses though, ears peeled to catch every word. The not-so-subtle look Tyltin gave the knight had her wincing slightly. Maeryn just positive he wasn't the traitor sort. The mention of limited supplies from Valys had her perking her brow, the obvious question on her tongue, but she held it, for the moment.

Godraed felt the Prince's eyes on him as he spoke, his head lifting with an impassive expression on his face. The doubts surprised him not even the least, the King had them too. It was why Godraed was in this particular company. "Yes, Your Highness. This is one of the most passable spots." He answered quickly. "But it splits just before the final trek through." Hands moved as he spoke, indicating the fork. "To the left, the trail is wider and it looks as though it is the correct path, without a peak rising ahead, but it ends abruptly at a cliff's edge." He spoke decisively. "The mountains are deceptive...it's easy to get turned around. The right is narrower and looks to be heading straight into a mountain side, but it turns then goes to the lowlands. I suspect if there is a waiting trap, the bulk of it will be at the fork to try to push us to the left."

William Alexston's leather creaked as he crossed his arms underneath his chest. He, oddly enough, didn't have any doubts when it came to Godraed - he was assured that the boy didn't have much capability for deception. Not yet, anyway. "Then, to state the obvious, we ought to go right," he answered. "Though perhaps make it appear that we don't know about that particular aspect of the mountains, and appear to go left. I'm not sure how we could work it - this is a big force to pull much of a trick with. It depends on the usual variables, obviously, but at least we know which way to go." He took several steps off to one side, tending to think better when he was moving.

Tyltin V took up a few grapes of his own as they weren't going to eat themselves as he heard the Karmenynn's advice. A sharp glance signalled his stab of alarm at nature's deception, for he wasn't one of devious bent himself and such a turn of events seemed almost too cruel to be real. William's comments brought a wry smirk to his face as he chewed. "Yes...obviously, we'll need to go right. If we were few, we'd be able to make a deceit easily enough...but we've more than a thousand men. If we break them up into companies of ten and have them scale the fork in those groups, it's possible...but then we risk them being taken down piecemeal. Is it better to risk the Karmenynns setting a small trap or waiting with a large ambush? What do you think, Ryn?" He glanced at her, his gaze serious in its contemplation.

Maeryn listened intently to everything the men said, almost to the point she forgot to blink or breathe. Thoughts swirled in her head, pictures painted of the mountain passes she'd never laid eyes on. Her imagination had been honed to perfection, thusly she had little trouble seeing the curves in the roads and the sheer edges. When Tyltin asked her opinion, she jumped. The flowers in her hand falling silently into her lap. Her brow perked at him, quite obviously bewildered that he was asking her thoughts. After a moment's collection and a soft cough to clear her throat, she began, all to ready to be mocked. "It seems to me, a decent sized party could take the wrong path, perhaps carrying my carriage. I'm sure the idea of capturing a Valenti princess could make some mouths water. Or confuse them into thinking it worth their while. When they go that way, the small party turns to greet them, and the rest of ours comes in behind, sandwiching them in the pass. Then we all turn and take the correct path and take out whoever lingered?" All the while she spoke, she kept her eyes trained on her lap, and only when she finished, did she look up at the gathered men sheepishly, ivories biting at her lower lip.

Godraed listened in silence as they digested his information, nodding slowly. The lad tried to supress his surprise at asking a woman's advice on battle, even if that woman was the Princess, but it leaked out when her words seemed quite apt. "Bait in the trap, as it were," he agreed quietly, with a nod to Maeryn. "They will think that we will take the left path. Arrogance is rampant in Karmenys, m'lords, and if they've managed to convince themselves that we are coming, they will likely take such bait without a glance at what might be waiting a out of sight of the fork. Or if they do, it will be only a scount or two which we can dispatch with ease so long as we keep wary. But.." He raised a finger, glancing amongst those gathered. "I think it would be a mistake to think we are up against only one enemy. When I left, there were several factions and unity is not a trait which any of them hold easy with."

Tyltin V kept his gaze fixed on her pale face as she enunciated the plan, his eyes widening in surprise; he'd never have thought of something so clever...indeed his idea was to storm the correct fork in force and count the casualties after. "That...just might work, then," he breathed as he listened to Godraed's explanation. With a nod, he considered the further advice about the discord they might find. "I've been briefed on such things...but nothing brings unity quite like an invading army. We present a common enemy for the Karmenynns, Lord Eagloc." A grin stole over his lips nevertheless, and he spared an admiring glance to Maeryn. "Is there anything else I should know before we make ready?" Words were addressed to the man, even though his eyes sought only his wife's fair features.

Maeryn could only blink when none of them scoffed or laughed at her idea. Bright jades wandered over each man, looking for signs that they were humoring her. She couldn't find a trace. A furious blush crept over her cheeks and she picked up one of the flowers in her lap to busy her nervous fingers with. When she caught Tyltin's eye, she gave him one of her brilliant grins, tinged with a small bit of pride that she'd not made a fool of herself. "It... really might work?" She just had to ask, still shellshocked that they all seemed agreeable to it.

Godraed allowed a faint smile at her surprise at them being receptive to her idea. "Yes, your Highness. It was similar to the idea I had, I confess, but I'd not thought of something so bold as your carriage to tempt them. It's actually quite a classic strategic move, Highness, and we've nothing to lose by trying it." He shrugged. "If they don't take the bait, then we'll face them further on, whether united or seperate. All I mean is we should keep alert even when engaging a force...there may be more yet." The glances exchanged by the pair caused him to glance aside, studying the General intently. "You mentioned supplies, Prince." Hesitantly, he swallowed. "But they need not be brought through the mountains for us. Yrgyll Lake is too vast to freeze in the winter and too brackish. With Sarmagh and Ygriss adjacent, could we not set a camp on the coast to receive supplies?"
Back to top Go down

(LOG)Into the mountains
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Kingdom of Nharati :: IC :: Recent Developments :: Logs-
Jump to: